Tuesday, February 12, 2013

This and that

Justine took all of these of Bo. She thought he was so cute. She said he sat there for twenty minutes "criss cross apple sauce" just eating popcorn.



This picture just fills me with joy. What a happy little life. Just sittin' there, eating popcorn in peace and plenty.



We love when we pick up Kassidy from work. She always smells like yummy movie theater popcorn. Of course she is grossed out by the smell by now but I still joke that I want to eat her.

I finished "Healing Your Aloneness" today. Can't wait for my next assignment. I didn't ever know I was going to enjoy self help books so very much. But I am. I think I like psychology  Or maybe it is just because I need it. Or maybe it is just because it pertains to me. But I am finding them all very interesting. I can't wait for my next assignment. I ADORE ordering books from Amazon. They have tons for a penny or for cheap. I don't mind that they are used. I feel like they have more character. But I DO NOT like if they are already marked. I had to get rid of my kindle because it drove me CRAZY not to be able to take notes in my books.

The school principal, whose been my friend for a bit now, told me about this book.


He said it is about bullying. And that it is basically a life altering book. It is in my amazon cue for a penny to buy on payday. (don't everyone go buy them all up because I can't get mine until payday!!!! )
DON'T. YOU. DO. IT!)

The other one I heard was interesting and had excellent reviews and is in my shopping cart for a penny is...(DON'T. YOU. DO. IT)



I am scared to read this one for some reason. I worry it might be painful. Anything pertaining to children KILLS me.

In fact today, as I was waiting in speech therapy, a little boy came in crying, not happy to be there. Sometimes these kids get driven to therapy by companies who are paid to drive these kids around. I am sure they are reputable but one day Rhett thanked me for driving him (sweet boy). But I felt bad for this little guy. Being driven there by basically strangers and waiting for his therapy. I have seen him before and he is usually happy. So when he was crying I knew that was going to be a problem for my own mental frailness  I told the receptionist that I have become friendly with, (I have seen him twice a week for months and months, you get to know these people), to make that stop now. I told him I would start crying if he didn't. I was like "quick, give him gummy bears". He did a horrible manly job of trying to comfort the kid. Finally the lady receptionist did some grandmotherly work on him and made me happy. Then the receptionist brought me Dots and he said he wondering if that was what my gummy bear talk was really about. "Do you need some candy?" "Yes, please." It wasn't my intention, but I do like Dots and gummy bears.

Okay, sorry for that side bar....anyhoo...

Also... you must read this one. You JUST must. I had Kassidy read it. I do believe it changed her as a person. It is also in my cue. For a penny. (FINE. I'm ordering them tonight. I can't risk it. So by the time you read this you will be safe to snatch your own up for a penny without stealing mine. :) )

So, what life changing books do you recommend?

I really want to read Les Miserables. But I am having this thing about wanting to own a really great old or beautiful copy.

So...back to "Healing Your Aloneness"


....It has been a great book. I am a little insecure about my own opinions. I really want someone else to tell me that it isn't a crazy concept so I can feel safer in believing and sharing it. For some sad reason I struggle to just have confidence in saying "you know what? It isn't crazy and I believe it." I don't want people to think I am wacky. But after reading the whole book I really do feel like "It isn't crazy (okay, it sounds a little crazy) and I do believe it". But I was happy to hear my BFF validate me and not think it was a crazy concept. I also shared it with another friend I adore, who is my soul sista and BFF(yes you!!! BFF all the way girlfriend!!!), and she said she believes it too. So even though this inner child thing feels a little out there to me...I have to say...I believe it.

So I am going to share the basic concept of it. Believe what you want. But maybe open you mind to the idea. It is scientifically proven. However they scientifically prove something like that...is that just like saying fish don't feel pain when the hook is in their lip?

Basically the book says that often times your inner child and you inner adult are separate due to a VARIETY of reasons. To have inner peace you have to get the two of them together. That makes you a person who is whole and clear and even, like Kristopher. He has done this work. Lots of times people are already that way. So they don't even realize "they have this internal connection because it has always been so natural for them-they never abandoned themselves."

But those who have abandoned their inner child...which means the inner adult disconnects from the inner child because of pain "the abandoned Inner Child is constantly afraid of being wrong because it believes that being wrong is what leads to rejection. Therefore, it strives to find the "right: way to be in the world. It becomes addicted to "shoulds" and rules as a way to control rejection. It develops a need to be perfect and a belief that it is possible to be perfect. Perfectionism and the fear of being wrong are symptoms of the internal disconnection between the ADULT and the Child."

Also there is an enormous list of  painful feelings that fall in line with this. A few that I will share that fit me are, self-doubting, defensive, regretful  fearful, anxious. Then out of these feelings come our addictions.  People become addicted because the addictions relieve  pain. But it is really perpetuating pain.

Something I really loved about the book was a few stories about people who already have the internal connection between their inner child and inner adult. It talked about how when you are connected you can have "True power, which is the power to nurture and give" and it is a "soft" power. I'll post about those stories later this week. I thought they were really moving.

Tuesdays are my most favorite day. On the way to take Rhett to basket ball practice we stop and get a big slice of free bread from the bread store. With....honey and butter. Then on the way home we get a $1 cone at Baskin Robbins. It feels so good to bond with my boy like that. It makes him very happy and feel very spoiled. I think we like having each other all to ourselves for a bit. Even if he STINKS from being 11 and at practice.  Also, free bread and dollar cones????Heck ya!!!! (Don't worry, I work it into my calories. I'm still good. ish.)


2 comments:

Terri Porter said...

Hmmmmm.....I'll have to think about that one. Not so sure those theories apply or work for everyone.

Terri Porter said...

BTW, I read Mister God this is Anna, as a teenager. My recommendation for a good book would be The Glass Castle. Great and true story, made me appreciate so much in my life.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...