Saturday, February 9, 2013

Birthday celebration


This...is typical Kate for you.

She comes home from school and told me, a little bit huffy....

Her: "Mom...My friends don't think I am the Queen!"

Me: "Uh...cause you not!"

She didn't even try to be a princess first. She was heading straight for Queen status. That is just her. That kid knows what she wants and she is going to do EVERYTHING in her little power to get it. And she is resilient.

Four years ago she gave me a sign of what was to come. It was her first birthday. I nursed most of my kids over a year. I have no strong stance on nursing. I think it is a good plan but if others do or don't...whatever. And I did for so long not for any other reason than it worked for me and my babies. That is just how we did it.

Anyway, on Kate's fist birthday she bit me while nursing. I did what I would dare say most mothers do and gave her a pat on her cheek and told her "NO"! She was LIVID with me. AND SHE NEVER NURSED AGAIN. (She also did not take a bottle) I was broken hearted. I tried for FIVE days to get her to nurse again. She would NOT! I cried and cried over it. I felt so rejected. And I did not want my last nursing baby to end on such a negative note. My friends thought I was NUTS! They thought it was quick and easy weening! But I was fairly crushed.

I'm over it now. And when I look back I see that was just a sign of a very strong little person.

Kate turned FIVE this week! Holy cow. I never thought I would be out of the baby stage with my youngest FIVE! I loved those baby stages but I am happy for some rest from the constant demand that babies require.

My sweet friend/coworker Gus traded me shifts so I could have this Saturday off just so I could pull off two birthday celebrations in one day. The girls are two days apart so we make them share. Mean I know.

Kate wanted a horse cake. It went well.



Kate really LOVED her little horses that we gave her.





Also, it was Justine's birthday. She wanted a One Direction (boy band) cake. She had seen the idea on Pinterest. She wanted the inside of the cake to be the colors of Ireland's flag....She did all the work...

That girl! Sorry if this is braggy. But my girl is SO darling I can't stand it. She wanted to make her cake this year so she did!!! It turned out so darn cute! I was so impressed with their ability. I love that she just goes for it and didn't for a minute think she couldn't do it.


The outside to be the British flag to represent One Direction.







 

It turned out awesome! We laminated the boys and glued them on picks and tada!!!! So great.  Is her hair not the very best ever? Sorry. I just like her. And I am going to DIE when she moves out. DIE.


 She seriously impressed me. Bo likes to hang around in case there are any spoons to lick!

 







Kate got play-doh! They had a fun time.




Even Uncle Frank had fun. Actually they recruited him to fix the toy. :)

A One Direction shirt...



Because we have always teased that Justine is really a Big Foot that we brought home from the woods, my parents decided to give her a book about Big Feet. 


The switched the cover and put her picture on it. My mom and dad thought they were SUPER funny! It was great.


I ate too much cake. We also had appetizers.  I wasn't going to have hardly any. But I freaked. Boo. I have been eating so good that five hours later I am still FULL and not very happy.  It's hard to be good all of the time. The new frosting I tried out (thank you,Viki) was just like from the store and it was perfect. Yum.

1 comment:

Susan said...


Kirsten said...yay Im first!! saw all your cars out there tonight. Glad it was fun!! So cute cakes! Poor one direction looks like they are getting burned at the stake.

Susan said...Ha ha! I aid they were going to melt! I am glad you were first!!!


Viki said...my two girls often have shared b-days as well. both cakes are cute. fun times.

Jill said...She did a great job on the cake!! So glad you were able to be there to celebrate their bdays with them.

Nancy said...Such fun cakes! Good job as always!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...