Monday, September 20, 2010

I need a wagon circle...fast!


Did you know when the pioneers were traveling west and they went in wagon trains, that at night they would put their wagons in a big circle with the butts of the wagon facing out? They did so for protection from Indians, marauders (okay, I admit it, I got that off the Internet. I don't know what that word means) and from other dangers. Sometimes the children would play inside the wagon circle. Protected. Can you imagine how much safer you would feel being engulfed in that circle versus just out there in the open? The support of the other wagons must have been life saving. Mentally and literally.

This is the lesson I taught my children tonight. I was inspired by my friends blog who said that when her family is in times of crisis', "The family steps in and steps up and the wagons are circled".

I taught my children that we need to be doing that for each other. That we needed to be each others circle. And when times are troubling we support one another. I gave them several example of times we would need to be doing that for each other. I don't think we are very good at that. Sometimes the kids are just looking for the opportunity to jump on each other and with criticism.

So that is our newest family creed... In times of need our family steps in and steps up and the "wagons are circled".....






(Thanks Kelly)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post.. I like the metaphor a lot!

Anonymous said...

we have always used this in our family....I bought my sister this same picture when I came to visit this week......;)

Susan said...

Jeri said...Love you blog Susan- Thank you.

Linda said...Love that!!!!

Heather said...That is a great picture :) You are awesome!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...