Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The fatty is a big sister!!!!

Remember our fatty rabbit that we had to rotate on a regular basis because she was too fat to flip over? Well look at her now!







She's a cutie! Both ears are laying flat also. She is only pet quality due to feet that flair out. Also the silly thing seems to have changed the way her bottom tooth is growing. We suspect she jerk it by chewing on her cage. Because rabbit's teeth grow continuously this is a pretty serious issue. Our guru has been clipping it for us in hopes it straightens itself back out. I am too grossed out by teeth to clip it myself. I think I may have mentioned that a time or too. Teeth issues= Bleck!

I may have been to embarrassed to mention before that I let my kid spend 150.00 bucks (ha ha, get it?) on a rabbit... but I did. Our sweet friends generously paid her for pet sitting, knowing she was saving for this rabbit. We got him from the best Holland Lop ARBA judge ever, Alan Ormond. His quality is excellent and we are hoping to breed some nice rabbits to show/breed/sell (she needs to make some of her money back)! His name is Hank. Here he is...

See the short ears and smashed face...that is good. See how grumpy he looks...that is good.






....and we bred him to the fatty's mother and now the fatty is a sister to two new little fatties who are once again spoiled by being in a small litter and getting all their mother's milk to themselves.

Justine and I can't quit drooling over these little guys. They are so cute and we are having high expectation for their quality.


For some unknown reason, Justine really doesn't like black and white rabbits. But this one has fun markings so we like it.

Look at that tummy!



Hopefully we won't have to rotate them also! We already are bringing them in to sleep for the night so they don't freeze. We just bring the nest box in and in the morning give the mom back her babies. Rabbits are funny that way. You can handle their babies from birth. Because they are prey animals they do not spend much time in their nest box lest they bring a predator with them. They generally only feed twice a day. So the rest of the time the babies are on their own.

This is Myra. Justine also bought her at the same time as Hank (did I mention we love Dr. Quinn?). We think she is pregnant and we are just waiting for babies.



Her ears are too long and her head is too small but apparently having a good buck (Hank) is important enough to maybe overcome her issues. I am not the Guru so don't quote me on any of this.

We currently have a rabbit in our freezer. We are going to eat it...not this week, but eventually. I was a little disappointed that my dad brought him to me in one big rabbit form. I was hoping for pieces. Now I have to cut the thing up. Eww. But I shall do it, for I am pioneer stock in more ways than just being solid!


Also if you look at the sad picture of me holding the baby rabbit, I think I hold my thumb funny from having carpal tunnel so long. And I think it might be coming back. And if it is I think the doctor told me there is nothing to be done and I will be a claw hand......which might be great for Halloween but not so great for living. So I might need to call and see what to do. I think I am having returning numbness. If so, Rhett will owe me big time because he is the baby that brought all this on!....Maybe posterity shouldn't know that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was just looking at your blog and found this older post. It is cool to see our bunny's daddy and mom (I think). Our bunny is doing great! Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Alan Ormond is judging 4-H rabbits at the county fair!

Susan said...

Mary McDowell said... they are precious, can't hear about the one in the freezer tho.......

Ronda Butcher said... Boy you raise em big! glasses emoticon

Nancy Chamberlain said... What cute little babies!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...