Sunday, October 31, 2010

Slice of Life #24....Costumes.... my #3


Remember the good old days? When no one ever paid money for costumes? When we just got creative and inventive? I loved this year when I was Frankenstein. It was fun.

I remember the year my mom dressed me up more for her than for me! I was in 6th grade and she made me dress up like a bowl of jelly beans. And I mean she MADE me dress up. Basically she sewed some kind of a thick plastic and I had to wear it like a bowl and then she put all these balloons inside to make the jelly beans. And I had to wear a plastic hat for the lid. I had to wear a black leotard on underneath. And there really weren't enough balloons to hide behind. Talk about self concious. 6th grade, people!!!! I was like 12! It was so humiliating.



My mom sewed this costume for me as a toddler.


Nathan as Raggedy Andy -doesn't get better than this!

Rhett my adorable leopard

3 comments:

Carol said...

Great photos! I love that jelly bean outfit, so very creative!

Pirate Princess said...

Hahaha Susan!!!! These are so fun, and I am SO SORRY about the Jelly Beans, although you looked awesome. Why did she force you like that?

That Raggedy Andy outfit and the leopard are just too adorable. And my girls still look around and come up with costumes.. last year I took a bunch of fabric and made all the boys capes and masks like Zorro and called them "Candy Bandits." heh heh

Susan said...

Camy Carlyle Hertz said... Cute cute!!! Love Raggedy Andy, that's just adorable!!!

Ellie Patrick said... haha! that one in the jelly bean costume looks like kassidy!!

Kim Heinke said... Love this!

Linda Hansen Holt said... Every time I see that Raggedy Andy picture, I think it's mine for a second because I have a picture just like it..... somewhere! I've got to find that!
And the jelly beans are adorable! But you do look perfectly miserable, poor girl!

Nancy Chamberlain said... I can't remember ever making you wear the Jelly Beans. You do look unhappy. Oh, the things we do to our kids!

Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said... Well, you know how memories change. Maybe you didn't make me. But I remember you making me. because I was mortified to be in a black leotard. And you told me it wouldn't even show because of all the balloons. And then you sadly underestimated how many balloons we would need and I wanted more to cover me up. smile emoticon I love you though.

Mary McDowell said... selective memory,my kids have the same "disease" ha

Kirsten Guthrie Hinton said... oh waahhhhhh. Think about all the poor kids in china who never have anybody to make them dress up like jelly beans.

Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said... I am so lucky!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...