Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Let go my Lego... Ha ha get it? Like Eggo? only Lego...nevermind.

We have been having a Lego bonanza at our house. And it makes me proud. Every single one of my children (minus Justine) has spent time in the boys room where all the Lego's are spread everywhere, creating Lego masterpieces.



Bo is honestly creating cool little cars and robot things. I'm so proud!

The rest of the kids were thrilled that I still had the directions of how to build the Harry Potter Castle and they having been searching diligently for all the pieces that have been mixed in with the rest of the miscellaneous Lego's.
When you sit in the basement office below their room it sounds as if there is a machine up stairs because of all the raking through the Lego's. Music to my ears!

We have never owned a PlayStation, Wii, or any of those video game machines. The kids do manage to spend plenty of time wasting time on computer games though. Some of those are educational so it isn't too bad I hope (Buy Zoo Tycoon, so fun). They also have one DS they sometimes play games on. But usually when they beg for those video consoles I just tell them I want them to be using their brains and not glued to video games.

I want them to write and draw and read and shuffle through Lego's all day long. I want them to know what it is like not to have to be glued to technology all day. It is mostly working. Although the older kids do love their face books, and Kassidy loves her Ipod. It is defiantly a challenge in our crazy techno world, to try to stay unplugged.

So... when I hear the Lego start to shuffle it makes me super happy.

I loved it when Nathan (nearly 12) sat on Santa's knee and told him he wanted a Star Wars Lego set instead of a video game. My heart soared.

Favorite memory of my brother...when I was a girl my brother was the Lego master. He actually uses Lego's somehow in his job today as a design engineer. I still remember and love his Lego pop machine invention. You pull a little knob and little "pops" would come out. I need to get a pattern for that. Wendy, if you read this will you make him give me one? You are probably the only one who can accomplish the task. Thanks. I'll be waiting,

Anyways, love Lego's. Love dresser tops FULL of special Lego creations that can never be thrown back in the tub of Lego's.

Love children asleep with a bag FULL of Lego's that they want to keep separate for whatever reason. Remember I told you Bo was a hoarder?

4 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

That's so cool Susan. Good for you! Don't tell the kids, but Russ finally broke down and bought a wii this year - they won't get it until he comes home AFTER Christmas though. We have limited games with it - mostly fitness stuff which is why he bought it. He told me "Unless we get cable, I just don't think we're going to get TV" - and I said, "GOOD! I have enough competition!" :D

Anonymous said...

We have a lego box just like yours. Some of the original sets were set aside in some plastic containers, but now they are all empty meaning all the legos are scrambled together waiting for someone to do something with them.

Sister Savanah Jo Ward said...

I will never complain about the legos all over my house again, you are so right! We too are trying to stay mostly unplugged, but it is tough! My boys love love LOVE the legos though!

Susan said...

Nancy Chamberlain said... Grandma has always liked Legos too! They can be made into so many things!
Mary McDowell said...I could never follow the directions-do your kids like play-mobil Talan is getting in to them,had saved all the boys, then got rid of them when we moved:( LOVE your blogs,make me smile:)
C. Kent Chamberlain said...Grandpa likes Legos, less so since we got a large plastic bin half filled with mixed theme sets that nobody trys to assemble. Originality is great, but first learn the sets. Unless you were like me and didn't need instructions or sets or kits, but just dove in. Wait? Naw those were never my legos. I had lincoln logs and erector sets.
Melanie Lynn Shirling said... Hm. I was a Lincoln Logs kind of girl, too. They were my brother's Lincoln Logs, but I couldn't stay out of them!
Mary McDowell I'm lousy with Lincoln logs also..frown emoticon

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...