Monday, December 13, 2010

The new Grandpa is a hit!!

I mentioned my mother in law got remarried.....my kids have been so excited to get to know and visit their new grandpa.

And I know why.

The kid's new grandpa is the kind of person who makes you feel important about yourself. And the kids are feeling that. He asks about them and the things that they are interested in. He spends time looking at their drawings. He tells them that their work is clean and good and he hasn't seen that before in a nine year old. *wink*. He looks at their calligraphy telling them that that is a true form of art work. He already comes to their recitals. He looks you in the eye and listens. He's huggy and lovey. Even thought he is a famous artist he just thinks he isn't any big deal.

I think we are going to keep him.

Too bad we have to share him with his real grand kids.

And too bad I didn't bring my camera to take cute pictures of our family dinner. It was Aunt Sherri's birthday. And she gave us a present! She's nice that way. Carolyn (MIL) made a great meal which Corey informed me was his favorite. Who knew?


Homemade fried chicken with gravy and rice. I swear in all my days he has never told me that before.

We also had to crack up at Uncle Frank tonight. He makes us laugh. We were cracking up so hard that new grandpa was cracking up and we liked that.


At the dinner table Uncle Frank went into la la land and zoned off..... Staring into space. Kassidy, the super loud snapper, snap right in his face (he eggs them on so bad, so all is fair in love and war between him and my girls) and startles him to attention. Staring straight ahead he says "fruit trays"! We laughed and laughed. New grandpa laughed. Uncle Frank's hot sauce laughed and turned red. It was a fun night. Family is a good thing. Heavenly Father is a smartie.

By the way Uncle Frank said "fruit trays" because he was thinking of something he needed to bring to the church Christmas dinner.

And when ever I tell people how to make Wingers sauce I accidentally tell them to buy Uncle Frank's hot sauce.


And to top off the night on the way home I sang my guts out to my most favorite song ever. "Hands" by Jewel. I want that sung at my funeral. For reals. Don't forget.

Oh yeah,... it is so fun to have a real life artsy person in the family! It is so foreign to us. I loved that the kids were exposed to that. They got to see Dale's (new grandpa) work room and the humongous painting he was working on and selling and all these little tubes of real life artist paints from a real life artist. It was awesome.


1 comment:

Susan said...

Linda Smith Jensen said...I'm very excited to meet him!
Sherri Nielsen Longhurst said...Suzi, you crack me up! Who knew Corey & I share the same favorite dinner! Dale is a Keeper!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...