Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dinner work party! Love it!

Thursday night Corey's work is taking us out to dinner for our Christmas party. Yeeeaaaa. I am so excited. Here are the reasons why...

  • Corey's employer actually is just"sending" us out to dinner. They live in another state so they don't come. That means you can order the most expensive thing and not feel weird. When ever Corey and I go out to eat I always order frugally and have water. So it is super fun to splurge guilt free!
  • This is probably the most "gourmet" place in town. Like the rich people in Hollywood eat. Like where you pay a fortune for food and then there isn't even anything on your plate but what is on your plate must be the best possible mouth full ever.... (I wouldn't know...yet)
  • I really care about trying new things at these fancy places. I would never order steak. Boring. Trying interesting foods is exciting to me. Not Corey. He is already freaked out about the menu choices.

So let me share with you some of the menu choices I am considering. (Corey found a menu on the Internet because he is worried about it)

Pan-Seared Scallops with slow-roasted mushrooms, celery root puree, and mushroom jus.

hmmm .....celery root sludge...I mean puree. What is that? Is mushroom jus...."juice"? Serious though, this is probably what I will order. Slow roasted mushrooms sound so good.

Parmesan Napoleon-polenta cakes, artichoke hearts, poblanos,Parmesan crisps, goat cheese, Green goddess dressing.

I had to google half of these. Polenta Cake is like little dread. Poblanos is peppers of some kind. The artichoke hearts is what attracts me to this.

Wild Caught Salmon with roasted beets, quinoa and truffled beet emulsion.

I love beets. I need to google quinoa. I just cant decide! Salmon doesn't excite me terribly but the menus choices are sort of small.

You can also get a lobster tail on the side with your meal and something I am dying to try is Bacon Wrapped Dates stuffed with Parmesan. 1$ per piece. And Bacon wrapped scallops served with 'angry' mayonnaise. 1$ per piece. That 'angry' mayonnaise just really has me curious! Hot I am assuming?

And what do you suppose macerated cranberries are? That is going to come on my salad.

Something I will NOT try is Lavender Lamb Lollipops. That sounds grody despite the balsamic, which I do enjoy. Mostly just a poor name choice, I think.

Alright, I will let you know what I order and how it goes. I do hope I have a chance to sneak a picture of my food but I am kind of thinking... not. Darn.

Crap! Corey just texted me and there has been a change of plans. Now we are going to Texas Roadhouse. King of steaks. Booooooo!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

The Ancient Booer: Boo. Boo. Boo.
Corey: Why do you do this?
The Ancient Booer: Because you had quinoa and mushroom jus in your hands, and you gave it up.
Corey: But we men would have whined if they hadn't done it.
The Ancient Booer: Your true love lives to make you happy! And you take her to BORING. True Love saved you in the blog posts, and you treated it like garbage. Now that's what she is, the Queen of Boring. So bow down to her like you shouldl, bow to her. Bow to the Queen of Steak, the Queen of Cactus Blossom, the Queen of Putrid Baked Potatoes. Boo. Boo. Rubbish. Filth. Slime. Muck. Boo. Boo. Boo.

Unknown said...

Mike eats quinoa all the times (it's pronounced "keen-wahh". He loves it and it's super healthy for you too. It's some aftrican grain (or something) It tastes a lot like couscous.
You'll have to try it some time.

Susan said...

Melissa Wenger DeGraffenried said...Texas Roadhouse??? Lame compared to what you posted! Sorry!
Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said...I KNOW! Super bummed. Boys are in charge! Figures, huh?
Mary McDowell said...order extra meals to go to make up the $ amt.-ha, have fun:)
Kim Heinke said...Enjoy your evening out!
Christina Gutke said...Oh what the? So I won't see you there then? Guess I'll try everything you were going to now! Quinoa is a smaller version of cous-cous by the way...very tasty!!
Mary McDowell said... Ryan just cooked Quinoa the other night, I had never heard of it
Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said...Christina! You know everything! How did we lose at Trivia? I will miss seeing you.
Mary, did you like it?
Corey Nielsen said...Susan - your just lucky we want you wives to come.
Mary McDowell said...I wasn't there to try it, Ryan liked it, Michelle not so much- @ Corey you need her with you to make you look good-ha have fun!
Mary McDowell said...and to make sure you don't overdue the DEW....
Kirsten Guthrie Hinton said...Susan, don't go with him. Go with me and Mel. As you wiiiiiiiiiiiishshshshshsh

Susan said...

Kirsten Guthrie Hinton said...Seriously I can barely read this without getting mad.
Melanie Lynn Shirling said...I second that, BOTH of your posts, Kirsten! As Corey, et. al. are rolling down the hill, the wives on top, the boys are saying "aaaaaaaas youuuuuuuu wiiiiiiiiiish" and change their minds..... LOL!
Kirsten Guthrie Hinton said...hahahaha!
Melanie Lynn Shirling said... All of the wives should protest and go to the other place and make them pay for it.
Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said...You guys are nutty and funny. I would go with you Kirstin if ur paying like his work is... smile emoticon I am bummed though. I really wanted to try celery seed puree!

Susan said...

Christina Gutke said...Rubbish! I have quinoa over here and you know I can manage pan seared scallops....you know I love sea food! Forget the boys! I'll at least get you a doggy bag when I go!
Christina Gutke said...And who better to have celery seed to make a puree? Seriously!
Melanie Lynn Shirling I wanna come! Sus can have my doggie bag!
Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said... Sounds great! Can you roast mushrooms with mushroom jus?
Christina Gutke said...I'm sure you mean mushroom AU jus...I'm sure I can manage...it's just a salty mushroom broth. I'm making pork chop soup as we speak and it has mushrooms in it!

Susan said...

Melanie Lynn Shirling said...piece of cake...and baked brie with roasted garlic is a must!
Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said...uh! Yum! it didn't say au jus. Just jus. Also can you make bacon wrapped dates with parmesian?
Melanie Lynn Shirling said... no prob... and parmesan crisps! I think it's silly they put that in, like it's significant.
Christina Gutke said...I can wrap bacon around anything! My grandparent order dates and figs from Turkey every year but for some reason, I just think honey crisp apples wrapped in bacon with cheese sounds better....or pears even?
Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said...Maybe. But I have heard that date thing several times now and I really wanted to try. Maybe I will just have to go get one. They are 1$ a peice.
Christina Gutke said...What? What crazy date sales person is telling you this?? You need to find yourself a nice Turkish young man named Iskander or the like, he'll sell you dates for cheap!
Melanie Lynn Shirling said...http://www.epicurious.com/.../Parmesan-Stuffed-Dates...
Susan Chamberlain Nielsen Melanie! Thanks! Have you ever tried them? I don't like dates but I heard they were good...Maybe anything wrapped in bacon is good.
Melanie Lynn Shirling said...No I haven't. I'm not crazy about dates but I agree with you about bacon...
Nancy Chamberlain said...I remember your Grandma Chamberlain making something like this, You would like them because you are part Armenian and they eat lots of dates!
December 15, 2010 at 1:38pm · Like
Christina Gutke
Christina Gutke Armenian?? Seriously!! I totally called it Susan! You gypsy you!
Viki Groberg Bailey said..I likes me some good quinoa, which I have got a bag of at home...but a lot of those other things you guys were talking about have just about got my nausea ramped back up to 'near dry-heave' level....ugh!
Melanie Lynn Shirling said...She who can gut an antelope and laugh at it's poop coming out after it's dead...all with a baby on her hip...and you're grossed out by dates and bacon? Ex....cuse...me....while I bust out laughing...
Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said...Christina- you knew I was Armenian. Remember our cat hates me and you said it was cause I was a gypsy...
Christina Gutke said...I assumed you were a gypsy by your dark features remember were talked about it at the cabin.....I never had it confirmed though! Now I know you are a Lomi!
Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said...What is a lomi?
Christina Gutke said...An Armenian gypsy!
Corey Nielsen said...Dinner update.... We decided not to do dinner, but to go bowling and they gave us Gift Cards to Sportsman's... That's way better than eating gormet bettle gut soup.
Melanie Lynn Shirling said...Oh wow. I can't even follow this post anymore.
Melanie Lynn Shirling said...it just gets worse and worse. Now you aren't even taking your wives to dinner ANYWHERE??
Corey Nielsen said...Nope - toooooo much nagging and wimpering from the females!
Viki Groberg Bailey said...Bowling AND Sportsmans...I'm in! smile emoticon lol
Melanie Lynn Shirling Pfffft. You're watching the kids while all the sister wives go out to a nice dinner!
Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said...Where do I sign up to be a sister wife?
looks like I need a new man!
Corey Nielsen said...Susan - you WILL need a new man if you want more kids.
Viki Groberg Bailey said...OK..this post is getting a bit too creepy for me. Signing out. Over.
Melanie Lynn Shirling said...Roger that. Out.
Susan Chamberlain Nielsen said...fine...

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...