Sunday, December 26, 2010

Appreciation for husband, Sunday, the 46th

For some reason I have had a really hard time figuring out our Christmas routine. When I grew up we had a really nice dinner Christmas eve. For some reason that didn't work for me so the past few years we have been having clam chowder, like Corey's mom did. It seems weird to me because it it different, but it works.

This year I ended up also making like 5 appetizers on Christmas eve day and we enjoyed those for three days. I told Corey from now on all our meals are going to consist of appetizers since those are the really good foods anyways.

One year on Christmas eve we wanted to watch a movie so the kids picked the new Planet of the Apes movie. (I am frightened and curious as to why we even owned it but apparently we did) Now crazily and sort of horrifically we (Corey and the kids) watch that every year. They look forward to it. It is weird but now it is a "tradition".

Growing up on Christmas day we went right to business seeing what Santa brought us and listening to the Mannheim Steam Rollers. Santa usually brought us a variety of things and my almost very favorite ever gift was the Barbie Motor Home. I cannot tell you how much I loved that Motor Home, which included bunk beds built on the side of it.

When I started having kids I didn't want them to think some magical Santa made all these fabulous toys appear. I wanted the kids to know that hard work brought them here. So Santa just brings one item and the rest is wrapped under the tree. I don't know if I am doing it right. I have had a hard time deciding how it should all be.


Which brings me to my appreciating for Corey. For years Corey has annoyed and driven me crazy because I felt like he was torturing the kids. He WILL NOT LET US OPEN PRESENTS FOREVER! Christmas morning we get up, check out what Santa brought, feed pets, sometimes he showers, and then we have a full fledged breakfast and cleanup before we can get to the important task of opening the presents.

Who does that? Anyone else? I mean lets get on with it already....(Although I really think he is just doing it how he grew up.)



So....this year I appreciated it a little more. And the more I think about it...a lot more, even though I doubt the kids are. But I think it is teaching us to slow down. To savor the moments. To breath deep. To abstain from the crazy Christmas morning feeding frenzy. And it makes the morning last longer. Which I love, seeing as we do a ton of work for it.


So there you go, I admit it...Corey has some good ideas.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Melanie Lynn Shirling... smile
Ronda Butcher.. I can appreciate everything you wrote in your blog. I'm glad you were able to rationalize it all. (makes it a bit easier huh?) I also think the way you do in regards to Santa. Yes, I want the kids to enjoy that part of their youth but, we work hard to provide those gifts and I want acknowledgement. In a way it sounds selfish, but "so be it"!!
Michelle Vivino... We open our presents very nice and slowly~ AND we sleep in :o) All eyes are on the Chosen One who is opening the Present, then we unpackage it, play with it for a little while then move on to the next Chosen One~ takes us hours and hours this way, but I love it. I like them to savor not only their own gifts, but to enjoy the happiness of others in the family :o) You want torture? Go stay with my bff at Christmas~ they open their presents over the course of a WEEK! No, I'm not kidding. I would never have that kind of self-control ha ha

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...