Saturday, December 11, 2010

Haaaalllleeeelllllluuuuiiiiiiaaahhhhhhhh!!!!

Is that disrespectful? Cause I really want to shout that out right now!!!!!

My son came home from preschool with some sight words he was supposed to memorize. So I taped them to the wall and quizzed him and......

Haaaalllleeeelllllluuuuiiiiiiaaahhhhhhhh!!!!

He read "like" and "see"! Honest!!!!! He did!!!!! The heavens opened and light shown down on him and the angels sang and I was ecstatic! My kid can read!!!!!!!




We have continued to practice and he knows all six of those sight words. So, with another round of kindergarten he should be a pro.

(Remember he is in developmental kindergarten right now because of speech delay and his birthday is so so close to the school cutoff of when he would go to kindergarten so he is the VERY youngest in a class so I am going to have him repeat it. whew, long sentence.)

But while I am thrilled for Bo I am saddened because in the back of my mind my heart breaks for my little Rhettie who is still struggling along at a first grade reading level due to his dyslexia. What if his baby brother passes him by? That will be a heartbreak. Wah.

But Rhett is making progress.... and on to more important things...he made two baskets in the basketball game this morning!!!! So you know, if the reading thing doesn't work out he always has that as an option.

One day he told me he was just going to be like dad and not read. I had to explain to him that dad could read, he just didn't. There is a difference. And then I am annoyed at Corey for not reading when he can! If you can you should. It is just rude to those who can't!

Also, I am excited about Rhett's Christmas present. Since he can't read this I am safe to write it, right? 8 books and 8 audio CDs to go with the books of "The Magic Tree House". I am hoping to teach him how fun books are so his desire to read will grow. Plus, research shows that children hearing men read does something good for them but I can't remember what. So hopefully they are read in a man's voice.

Next week I will share with you the AAAAMMMMMAAAAAAZZZZIIIIINNNNGGGGG book I read.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Here is a good quote for you (or more likely for Corey)...

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
Mark Twain

Susan said...

Exactly my point!!! Thanks for the quote you quotmeister!

Anonymous said...

That's soooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Susan said...

Nancy Chamberlain said... Hooray for Bo! I am sure it won't be long before Rhett learns too! You are a good mom for seeing their needs and fulfilling them as best you can!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...