Friday, January 21, 2011

Sometimes a girl just wants to build something!

I am doing it! Yep, uh huh! I am super ecstatic. I am building something. Out of wood. And wood glue. And saws and sand paper. Oh Yea!

And what I am building just might be darling.

SOME people (you know who you are) think I have better things to do, but ya know sometimes a person just wants to create something! And I'm doing it! And maybe what I am making won't be quite as fancy as one I would buy....but simpler is often better!

So here is a picture of what I have done so far. :) The wood is bought and cut!


I'll keep you update on my progress! Off to sand!

Oh yeah...So far I have spent 24 dollars. We'll keep a tally of how much it costs.

Speaking of creating....Nathan and Rhett took a very fun 4-H class on bread dough sculpture. We have the nicest neighbor who teaches various classes and the kids love to participate. So here are their creations....

Spider

Alligator (the tail was eaten)

Snake
elephant
frog

Impressive, huh? And their best work (a bat and a chickie) is being lacquered and sent off to compete in the state fair. Ha!


UPDATE...Okay... Umm...Not quite as much fun as I thought. Yeah...Woodworking as my future career....NOT going well. I have yelled UUUGGGGSSSSS several times as apparently this is a lot harder than it looks. I have spent about two hours JUST getting this done....


One measly little board nailed to the other... I had to do it about three times because I kept getting it wrong. GRrr...

It is really hard. I hate that!


One thing that did go well and included hilarious amounts of laughter at me and the kids was trying to teach them our first Hymn. (Remember New Years Goals?)


I made SWEET (as in cool) pictures to help us. I pointed just like a real music teacher at each picture as I tried to teach them the words to the song. It was GREAT! We did have to discuss the difference between softly using your voice as a musical instrument and yelling. Sadly, we are just loud people at this house...

Salt and Pepper shakers to the first person who can guess the song! Seriously. And no! That is not a tractor! And I am predicting the winner will be Kirstin.... Just sayin'.




Hint...some of the pictures we used twice for the different verses. Ha!


I know it is not a fair fight since not all of my friends sing from our hymn book...sorry. Luv ya.

4 comments:

Myrna said...

Joseph Smith's First Prayer. and Susan of course that isn't a Tractor!! It is a pair of Binoculars, any one with artistic talent could tell that

Janetlee said...

Bees were humming, sweet birds singing, music ringing through the grove... I totally thought it was a tractor!

Anonymous said...

Love the talented kids you have! Great dough sculptures! Good luck on teaching the songs!

Unknown said...

See--that music leader (with pictures) is harder than it looks huh? :) Good work! I may have to call you to help me with my primary art projects :)

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...