Thursday, May 20, 2010

Angels among us on the side of the freeway.


Along with my "Appreciation for Husband" and "Khronicles of Kate" I also keep a look out for wonderful things and blog them under "Angels are Among Us" posts. I haven't documented any for a while. I guess I have been to busy to notice and that is sad. But I did notice one yesterday and thought I'd write about it.

Yesterday as I was driving down the street I came upon a fender bender accident. As I switched to the other lane to get out of the way, I could see a man in his 30's, and a man maybe in his late 50's, standing together, at the side of the road. They obviously were the drivers of the two wrecked cars. You know, in accidents it seems like people get SO riled up and mad at each other. It is almost a little scary. Like how mad my husband was at himself, when he backed over a mail box. (hee hee. That was the best! He never lets dumb stuff like that happen to him. He thinks it only happens to me! I just loved that day.)

Anyways, in the few seconds as I was driving by, I witnessed a sight that caused my heart to soar with love for all humanity. I saw the younger man extend his arm to the the older man, and offer him his hand. The older man instantly responded and they shared a firm and beautiful handshake. I swear I could feel their emotion and it was either an apology or a I forgive you handshake. Either way it was a beautiful, simple sight. I feel blessed to have witnessed the goodness.

I thought about that all day. And I wonder why are we so mad at each other all the time? We need to have more compassion and love for each other. "Stuff" happens. If I could give advice to my children, that I really want them to remember, it would be to always remember that the people they are interacting with here on earth are children of God the Father. And they are important. Not perfect, but important. (Read the best quote ever on the side of my blog by C.S. Lewis) They are going to make mistakes and we are going to make mistakes. Be patient and forgive, Be humble and ask forgiveness. Respect and be kind to everyone, even when traffic is bad or the line at the grocery store is too long, or you know you are right and they are wrong, but you still don't get your way. Still be kind. And be thankful to everyone. And fill out those comment cards at stores or restaurants and tell them the name of the cashier/waitress you love (Travis) so you can get them a kudos at work. Take time for people. I'm not saying I am perfect at any of these things. I am just saying this is what I want to teach my kids. That they aren't better than anyone else, despite wealth, health, religion, social status, job position, education, race, knowledge, etc... I want them to know that people are what count.




Don't ya just miss him?



This is President Hinckley-Prophet of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) From March 12, 1995 until January 27, 2008 when he passed away.

He was just the cutest, funniest, loveliest man. He said some wonderful things, and the following quotes are a few of my favorites...


"It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another in all our relationships. In other words, to become more Christlike."

"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we 'accentuate the positive.' I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort."

"We can lower our voices a few decibels. We can return good for evil. We can smile when anger might be so much easier. We can exercise self-control and self-discipline and dismiss any affront levied against us."

"Let us be a happy people. The Lord's plan is a plan of happiness. The way will be lighter, the worries will be fewer, the confrontations will be less difficult if we cultivate a spirit of happiness."

There are some who believe, we as LDS people, worship our Prophets. We don't . We just love them a lot.

Another quote by President Hinckley-

“This church does not belong to its President. Its head is the Lord Jesus Christ, whose name each of us has taken upon ourselves. We are all in this great endeavor together. We are here to assist our Father in His work and His glory…. Your obligation is as serious in your sphere of responsibility as is my obligation in my sphere. No calling in this church is small or of little consequence.”

5 comments:

Susan said...

Mary- we all need to be reminded....thanks♥

Kirsten- That seems to ease the stress I feel lately. Like a breath of fresh air rejeuvenates, your message did the same thing.

str8shooter said...

You truly are an amazing person. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Janetlee said...

wow! Awesome blog! I wish more people said stuff like this on facebook.

Shan said...

Thanks for sharing that!! IT is always a great reminder!!!

Susan said...

Mary said...we all need to be reminded....thanks♥

Kirsten said...That seems to ease the stress I feel lately. Like a breath of fresh air rejeuvenates, your message did the same thing.

Nancy said...Well said!

Patsy Jo said...Thank you for sharing that experience with us. There really are Angels around us.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...