Sunday, May 30, 2010

Happy Memorial Day!


(This picture was taken a few years ago. My Grandpa served in the military and loved his country. One of his jobs was a cook and they called him "maggots". This is my two cute, funny, hilarious, wonderful Aunts and my great mom with a flag in my beloved Grandpas honor)

Thank you to all the military who are serving now or have served in the past. We love you and your sacrifice with all our hearts. We know that "Freedom isn't free" and we are trying to remember that every day.

I married into a family that loves Memorial Day! We always visit cemeteries and take flowers to the graves. Corey's Aunt goes to over 70 them. They take flowers to each one. It is really neat the care they put into remembering the dead and this holiday.

I have been trying to teach my children the same. We only do two though. Their two grandpas that died. Corey's dad, Bruce, and Corey's mom's second husband, Roger. Miss them both. Love them both. I like going to the cemeteries and honoring them. I think it is a good tradition and a good reminder.


Me and my in laws



My kids and some of their cousins

My niece and her veggie dreads


I thought the flowers we prepared for the graves tuned out great!


We miss you, Roger!

We feel cheated we lost you so soon, Bruce.

2 comments:

Jessi said...

Haha! You posted my dreadie pic! You're the coolest aunt ever. :) Glad I got to spend part of the day with you. Love you!

Susan said...

Kim said...I absolutely LOVE it, Susan! Your flowers for the graves are great!

Mary said...very thoughtful

Patsy Jo said...I admire you so much. Looks like you had a great day with family!

Nancy said...I loved your blog. I really miss my dad! Can't believe he has been gone 10 years. I know my brothers and sisters visited their graves, they are so thoughtful! Glad you remember Bruce and Roger. Love you, Mom

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...