Sunday, May 2, 2010

BEND YOUR ARMS!

Our church has a wonderful program for the children ages 8-12. It is all explained in a booklet called Faith in God for boys or girls.



In the book are three different sections with a variety of goals to be met over the years. Because hopefully it is a rare child (and not just mine) who actually works on this all by themselves, I really have been trying to work on these goal with my two boys. It is nice that they are both working on the books now because I can help the both with one item and we "kill two birds with one stone". Some of the goals are:
  • Explain how taking the sacrament helps you renew your
    baptismal covenant. In a family home evening, teach
    others about things we can do to remain faithful.
  • Read and discuss the parable of the good Samaritan (see
    Luke 10:30–37). Plan and complete a service project that
    helps a family member or neighbor. After completing the
    project, discuss how it helped your faith grow stronger.
  • Write a poem, story, or short play that teaches a principle
    of the gospel or is about Heavenly Father’s creations.
  • They are basically simple, faith and character building goals. The kids have to fulfill 8 goals for each section plus a few other things like learn the Article of Faith and read their scriptures etc...

    So the goal we worked on today was:




    This is how Rhett felt about that!



    Did I mention I have ZERO rhythm and have never led music before? But I read the back of the book and quickly figured it out. (Except for the rhythm part)

    Teaching the boys was frustrating! But mostly it was a CRACK UP! It was very difficult! They struggled. They were zombie arms the whole way through. But it was sweet fun (when I wasn't yelling. I always hope they will forget the times I get frustrated and lose my patience). But holy cow! ADHD begone!

    But from their perspective can you think of anything two rowdy boys would like to do less than learn to lead music?



    Nathans arm was TIRED. They got a new perspective off the people who lead music at church on Sunday.







    Here is how they looked when I told them they were going to lead the song for family home evening!



    We also discussed how learning these thing would help them serve the Lord later in life. We talk a lot about when they serve their missions how they will be able to use these musical talents.
    I am sure thankful for the Church's programs that help me in guiding my rowdy boys into hopefully young men and young missionaries.

    As Nathan was leaving he said, "thanks, mom" Sweet. He was probably having a flash back of he and Rhett having spasms and me yelling, "YOU ARE LUCKY TO HAVE A MOM WHO WILL TEACH YOU THESE THINGS, NOW BEHAVE!"

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    What a great mom you are to make sure your boys are always learning! Love ya. Sorry I missed Nathan's program. Mom

    Hello, my old friend.

    It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...