Saturday, May 22, 2010

Well, that was fun.

We went to work in the garden today like I promised.

I am thinking we maybe should water it first to soften up those weeds. But Charles didn't have that option so how did he do it? Its really hard dirt. We dug some holes and got some squash and cucumbers planted and then were trying to make rows for corn.

So the boys chopped away at the tops of the weeds for a while and then I decided we better put up the fence since people (aka-Bo) kept stepping on the places were we had planted the cucumbers and squash (which only I will eat mind you. More on that story later)

I think I am in over my head. I want things done when I want them done!!!! Corey didn't have time to help me today since he is trying to hunt a bear.

So he couldn't help me today and I want it done and think just because I am a girl there is no reason I can't put up the fence.

So me and my boys put up a perfectly acceptable fence, with cattle panels we had from the previous year. And after the initial complaining and the "why are we the only ones working" bawaahaaa, it became fun and we were mostly all happy out there working together. Me teaching my boys how to properly twist the wire and trying to let them do every step they can. It is funny how work becomes fun. I told the boys we'd be proud to figure it out ourselves.

I decided to make the garden smaller this year so I have room for a sand box and then we realized we could have a little fire pit and we are very excited for that. We love tinfoil dinners.


Also, Corey advised me I should weed (and till) before I put up the fence. And that the weather is cold right now so it wouldn't matter if I just waited until he could help me. But I don't listen and I do what I want and that is sort of how I am. Plus I am worried about not getting the garden in. And I am worried about my children not having enough work to do. So he is going to abandon me with the garden this year...I can feel it, because I am bratty and want things done when I want them done... and now I have to PROVE to him that my way was the best. Dang it!


And also...I am a little stressed out about getting the weeds out. My horticulturist friend said she had some advice so we will see what she can help me with. If it isn't Charles Ingallsy, I ain't doing it!


Then a few hours later we had a blizzard. See? I don't think I like gardening.



And all the great pictures I took, got lost on my kids camera.

2 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

I missed this post - and I am laughing my well rounded derrière off...

You are wonderful! Seriously Susan... you're a trooper! This coming from the woman who decided if it ain't gonna grow in a bucket, she ain't planting it. :S

Linda said...

Charles had a horse. Just sayin.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...