Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day! To the two most wonderful mothers on the planet!


To the wonderful, outstanding, fabulous dejunker, Nancy!


When I was a teenager my mom was like one of my best friends. She was great to hang around with and I told her everything. More than she'd like to know sometimes, I'm sure! I was always teased and a little untrusted by my friends because they knew I told her everything but I wouldn't have had it any other way! She was a great friend and always excepted me the way I was (and I was a quirky, OCD riddled, thing). We had a few incidences of course as every mother and daughter do but we shan't get into those too much... except for of course the harrowing time I wrote swear words about her in my journal....that is too good not to share.... I was in high school and I left my journal sitting in the living room. Later when I came back we had a fight, because somehow through all the miracles of the universe, when she was cleaning house, my journal "fell" open to the EXACT page I had said a curse word at her. And it was a BAD one too. She still to this day stands by her story of, "the book fell open"! To that exact page? Really?

But despite her journal spying, (which now as a mother I 100% support, sorry, Kassidy), I love my mom to death. She is chill and easy going and funny and understanding and nonjudgmental and giving.




Four generation picture! My great grandmother, Kathryn, my grandmother, Betty, my mom Nancy, and me.

I love this picture. Aren't I so lucky to have it! People just didn't take pictures back then like they do now. But I was raised a picture taker thanks to my mom! I annoy Corey's family a lot, but when they are in need of a photo, we all know who they come to!





For my third or fourth birthday my mom threw me a great party. She hand decorated ALL these Raggedy Ann and Andy cookies and sewed the dolls! I was so loved. Isn't that a sign of a great mother? That I feel that way now?



At exactly 5:00 every week day my mom liked to watch entertainment tonight and drink a Pepsi. She always let me have a sip. Although I refrain from being a pop drinker, I love that memory of that sip with the ice in the cup. I NEVER will drink pop from a can.

My mom sewed us matching dresses. I adored them and we always got so much attention at church. She sewed me some fabulous prom dresses that I also used in college for dances. One in particular I loaned it to a friend and Corey took her on a date in my dress. Later when Corey and I started dating, he took me on a date in my dress. So he has two formal pictures, of two different girls, in the same dress. A little weird.

My mom also sewed my wedding dress. I remember shopping for fabric. I had to have this lace that cost 70 dollars for the one panel we needed. I am normally not a fashion diva AT ALL, but I loved this lace and couldn't get over it. I think it came from France. My mom decided to buy it just because I loved it so much and I will only get married once! (Hopefully, as long as Corey watches his step!)

My mom got me my dog when I was eleven. I loved that dog for so very long. She let me have hamsters at a young age, and from then on, every pet under the sun. I loved all those animals. My room was truly a little zoo. When I left for college she became the official zoo keeper. She even cleaned my pet rats! Now that is devotion. She didn't make me get rid of anything! I would have been devastated. I am so thankful she was willing.

I love you mom. Have a wonderful day! Thanks for always putting me first, but not too much that I could never grow up and move out. Thanks for all you did. Now that I am a mom I know words can never describe what a job mothering is! You did a great job. I hope you know that!

To the classiest lady I know...and the best cook I know....Carolyn (by the way, your son boobed like a baby when he wrote this! I just thought you should know. And it took him an hour to do so, so he really put effort in this.)

One of the many fond moments that I will always remember of my mother and I, was sewing a ski coat together. I purchased a ski coat kit and assumed my mom would make it for me. She did. She was perfect in sewing all kinds of clothes for all of us kids and friends. She still does a lot of tailoring and sewing projects. Well, I bought this kit and never really asked if she could help me. I just recruited her and she more than willingly worked on it each night. I was so excited to work on the coat. Being a young teenager, that only cared about my time and what I wanted, I would be so excited for mom to come home from work, just so she could work on my coat. I would have everything all laid out for the next steps. She would come home, from a long day of work, and sit at the sewing machine and continue where she left off the night before and work on it for a few hours. I still have the coat and I still wear it from time to time. She probably doesn’t fully know how much it means to me now, but she sacrificed a lot of her time to make that coat for me. Now, I realize how selfish it was for me to just assume she would work on it and invest so much of her time in it when she had just stepped in the door from work. She still had dinner to make, laundry to do, and other homemaker responsibilities. Looking back now, it wasn’t so much the coat as just spending quality alone time with her.

My first day of being a Cub Scout was when I realized my mother was nurse. After my first Pack meeting, before we went home, we stopped by her friend’s house. I was outside when I saw their dog. I knelt down to pet it. He lunged at me and bit off part of my lip. It was after hours, but my mom called our family doctor and he met us at his clinic. My mom carried two small pieces of my lip in her hand to the Doctor. I thought my mom was a nurse because she assisted the Doctor. I always thought I had plastic surgery done, because I remember some kind of plastic covering part of my face. I don’t recall how many stitches I had, but my mom helped cut the stitches and prepare for the procedure. I remember I was going to have to have a skin graph, but my lip healed better than was expected. She helped me pack for my hospital stay only to return home since my lip was healing so well. I just remember her being so concerned for me, but at times teasing me that I may get a bionic lip (because I was into the 6 million dollar man TV shows).

I love you mom. You ARE the best. Happy Mothers Day. – Love, your baby boy, Corey



Carolyn came on a trip to Savannah Corey and I got to go on. Because I am a nut about leaving my babies, she came to be our baby sitter. She was holed up in the hotel room while we played but we sure appreciated her.


Best picture of all time of Corey's parents! We love it! On the porch of the home Bruce's parents homesteaded.

On Corey's baptism day!




See what I mean... Classy!

We love you, Carolyn!

5 comments:

Terri Porter said...

Susan what beautiful tribute to these wonderful woman. You are blessed to have such strong a beautiful woman in your life.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words, Susan. I wouldn't trade all those memories for anything. We did have some fun times. Even when Jenn put the Kotex on the ceiling of my bedroom. What a pair you two made. Thanks for being the daughter and mother that you are! I love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words Susan. We did have some fun times. Remember when Jenn hung the Kotex above my bed! I laughed for days. Thanks for being the wonderful daughter and mom that you are. I love you. Mom

Megan said...

This was BEAUTIFUL Susan. Thanks for sharing with us. And how lucky you both are to have those photos of when you were growing up. I have hardly any photos of me (none before the age of 5- how sad huh?)

Susan said...

Nancy said...Thanks for the kind words. We did have some great times!

Linda Koyle said...wow, great tribute....

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...