Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sometimes I really disappoint myself! And no, it's not just in my lack of knowing how to properly use comas.

Actually many a night I disappoint myself. Especially when NONE of my children will go to bed at night.

I don't get it. NO ONE can fall asleep at night. Last night I had kids up until MIDNIGHT! I thought they were asleep and they were still in their rooms doing "stuff"! Kate still naps but then she will not go to sleep until after 10:00pm, and if she does go to bed early, like if she doesn't have a nap, then she thinks she has a nap and is up until midnight! I still, right now, at 10:38pm have 4 children awake!

The way I disappoint myself is I yell, and it breaks my heart. I am REALLY mostly good at not yelling. I think. The kids may have a different opinion. But I yell when they won't do work that I have asked them to do when we are all trying to clean together, and I yell at night when no one will go to sleep. I NEVER get to bed before midnight! I have never met children who need less sleep, than mine!


So even though I may change my mind in one week, I am glad school will be out because at least I'll be able to sleep in an hour or two more. But that is another thing. When I was growing up I never, ever, never, ever, not once in my life, saw my parents sleep in. Never. Ever. Not ONCE! What will my children think of me someday, sleeping in. Often. And then how much more lazy will they be.

But I am mostly just disgusted with myself because I yelled tonight when no one would go to bed. And last night. And I yelled at Bo. And he is just a little boy. Who won't stay in bed.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Yelling is just wrong! Wah! I am sad at myself. My lip is literally sticking out in a self disgusted sad pout.

Bo came up to me the other day looking like this! Maybe he is trying to give me a hint!




I am going to try to heed his deep council. Smart boy!


Also, I doubt my brother in law reads my blog, but I have to tell him thank you in a public forum for bringing me over a recorded tape of American Idol season finale. (yes, as in the old VHS). It made my night. He is so sweet sometimes! So if you ever need your Idol fix at 10:30 at night, he is your guy. Pajamas and all.

3 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

(((HUGS))) I have nights like that too, and yes, it used to be worse. I finally figured out they just weren't tired enough, so we did whatever we could to exhaust them during the day, and then they went to bed. After about a month of that they got used to going to bed at the same time every night.

Not that we don't revisit the midnight routine now and then, because we do, but for the most part after 9:00-9:30, the house is mine.

Oh - another thing I did (and do) is a bedtime routine. Do you do that? Complete with prayers, scripture story, and then I read a picture book. They're so addicted to the picture book that they'll behave so Mom will read it - if they're not nice to Mom, NO picture book. Bedtime routine used to include bath time too, but that's changed over the years.

Anyway - I yell too sometimes, and like you I hate myself for it (mine usually happens when something destructive has happened to the house that we're RENTING). So I won't tell you it's okay - just that you have empathy a few streets down. XXX

Wendy said...

Susan, I agree with your friend above. With us it is a combination of exhaustion and habit. The night we brought Sky home from the hospital after he was born, Jason was reading him a story and going through a bedtime routine. It took us years with him, but we never wavered. We do the same with Zoe. Also, as you know, we just exercise them to death!!

Try running them around your neighborhood 10 times every afternoon. It totally works! Ha ha! Good luck. Sometimes it's an accomplishment just to survive...

Susan said...

Christina said...I'm submitting your blog to supernanny!! I mean it!!

Susan said...Don't you dare. I am retracting it!

Christina said...Too late! You need her help!

Susan said...‎:(

Christina said...What is that sad face for?! Have you read like your last 5 blog entries?!! Are you saying you don't need help? I'm confused!

Susan said....Just keeping it real!

Susan said...Okay, it's 11:55. five minutes before my bed time. Night. Also I don't think I need professional help. I need a baby sitter.You volunteering?

Christina said...No!!! I want to like children enough to have some of my own some day!!

Susan said...Some friend....

Christina said...Hmmph!

Susan said...‎:(

Marcie said....Susan, you so don't need a super nanny cause you are a super mom doing a super job. Kids just keep us on our toes and make life interesting!

Kassidy said....i make life even more interesting.

Marcie said...Yes you do Kassidy, that's why we love you so much!

Kassidy said...Ha. thanks marcie! I love you too!

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...