Sunday, December 13, 2009

Finding Christ for Christmas day 11 (pathetically done on day 13 during dinner when mouths are full! Charlie Brown UugGHh!

Calling of the Fishermen



The following is on the back of the goepel art pictures:
Matthew 4:1822; Mark 1:1620; Luke 5:111 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. Matthew 4:19

While Jesus was by the Sea of Galilee, many people crowded around to hear Him teach the word of God. Jesus saw two ships by the shore where the fishermen were washing their nets. He stepped onto Simon Peter's ship, asking the fishermen to move it from the shore; then He sat down and taught the people from the ship. (See Luke 5:13.)

When Jesus finished speaking, He told Peter to take the boat out where the water was deep and let down the nets for a large catch of fish (see Luke 5:4). Peter told Jesus that he and the other fishermen had worked all night without catching any fish. "Nevertheless," he continued, "at thy word I will let down the net" (Luke 5:5). Peter and Andrew lowered their net into the water, and it was filled with so many fish that it started to break. They called their partners, James and John, who were in another ship, to help them, and they filled both ships with so many fish that the ships began to sink. (See Luke 5:67.)

When Simon Peter saw all the fish, he fell down at Jesus' knees and said, "Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord" (Luke 5:8). Peter and the others were amazed at the great number of fish they had caught (see Luke 5:910).

When Jesus said to Simon Peter and Andrew, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men," they left their nets and followed Him (see Matthew 4:19; see also Matthew 4:20; Mark 1:1718; Luke 5:1011). Jesus also called James and John to follow Him; they did as He asked, immediately leaving their ship and their father (see Matthew 4:2122; Mark 1:1920).

No comments:

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...