Sunday, December 13, 2009

Reclaiming Chistmas!

Today I was a little sad when Justine asked if we were going to put the presents out. I reminded her,"no we aren't, we are trying to concentrate on Christ this year." She complained that it just doesn't feel like Christmas without them. Break my heart. I want it to feel like Christmas! That makes me feel bad because presents really are a fun part of Christmas, thinking about your presents and shaking them and all that.

But I want to change what Christmas means to us so I want to put that part on the back burner. Hopefully it is the right thing to do and Christmas is still "fun and exciting". However, maybe Christmas isn't suppose to be "fun and exciting". Not that is shouldn't be "fun and exciting" but not in the sense where we can't wait to see what we are getting, and can't wait to see Santa and can't wait to eat the goodies,(okay, I take that one back). Maybe we have turned it into something it isn't meant to be. Sometimes, I think we have destroyed Christmas a bit and I don't know if we can get it back. Us mom's, (and the two men who occasionally read my blog), need to fight to get Christmas back! We need to reclaim it!

What do you all think? Leave me your ideas on this.

Also, tell me if I am overboard not letting the kids look at their wrapped presents.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think seeing the presents under the tree is a visual reminder for the kids as to why they are there to begin with. I tell them that God gave us the best gift of all, which is Jesus, and that is why we give gifts. It's not what we give or receive, it's the celebration of Jesus.

I'm terrible at writing my thoughts down (that's probably why I don't blog!) so, does that make any sense? I, too, am trying to reclaim Christmas!

I hope this helps!!
Stacy

Unknown said...

We never put presents out until the kids go to bed on Christmas eve, I think it is more exciting for our kids when they don't see them everyday under the tree!

Megan said...

I put a few presents out for the kids and you're right- they focus on "what am I getting for Christmas." I'm definitely going to use your example and be better next year in "reclaiming Christmas"! I love how you put that!

kirstensblog said...

I agree with you, Susan. I truly do. I really believe that over the years, Christmas has changed ever so slowly from what it originally was intended to be. Fun is good. Excitement is good. But what you are doing is right. And different. That is why you feel the "wind on your face" as you are going a different direction than some. I admire you and am trying to follow your example.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...