Sunday, December 6, 2009

Finding Christ for Christmas day 6

Jesus Washing the Apostles' Feet



He poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded. John 13:5

After Jesus had eaten the Last Supper with His Apostles, He removed His outer robe and put a towel around His waist. Then He poured water into a basin and, one by one, began to wash and dry the Apostles' feet. (See John 13:45.)
I find this interesting because can you imagine at the last supper how He might have been concerned with His own troubles yet He is serving others.

When Jesus finished washing the Apostles' feet, He said, "If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you" (John 13:1415).

I showed the kid's this picture and we read I read to them about it and we discussed how dirty those feet might have been. Not clean like our feet but dirty from wearing sandals. We talked about how Christ didn't feel like, because he was the Lord, that He was better than the Apostles and how we needed to serve everyone. We discussed ways to serve, helping with siblings, shoveling walks, etc.

Then I told them we were going to go into the sink and wash each other's feet. They about died. Just a joke though. Hope that doesn't offend any one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good job on this ongoing tradition - i am serious about you selling it - are you keeping everything in order for marketing??/

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...