Saturday, December 5, 2009

Love means a bite of pizza!


Today Corey and I were going into Sam's club and as we were walking in we witnessed the most wonderfully sweet thing ever. There was a very, very, elderly man pushing the grocery cart next to his equally very, very, elderly wife. As most of you know it is literally frigid here. Like you could die, it is so cold. So as this man was pushing, he stopped, and his little elderly wife was reaching across his front, trying with great difficulty, to get his open jacket buttoned shut. She could barely get it done as she was elderly and struggling, and I think he was scared to let go of the cart as he was elderly and a little hunched over. She finally buttoned it and on they went without a word passing between them. Just like it was "old hat" to take care of each other in that simplest, selfless way. Corey and I passed them and both were like, "Did you see that?" It was so neat to be able to catch that glimmer of something so sacred.

So we killed some time looking at Sam's Club, waiting for some of our kids to finish ice skating (we left without buying one real thing. Pretty impressive huh! During the holidays none the less!) We were leaving and Corey wanted a piece of greasy, bacony, Sam's Club, specialty pizza. We ordered and he waited to eat it until we got in the car. I was engrossed in trying to back the van out in the crazily, nuttily, jam packed parking lot and he is trying to sweetly put a pizza in my mouth.



See the correlation?


We are making it. Baby steps. One day at a time. One moment at a time. One day it is just a bite of pizza when you're spouse can't stuff her own face, in you're golden years it might be buttoning you're spouse's coat in the deathly frigid air, and someday it could be helping the other pass on to the next life. Interesting. Marriage is a work in progress.




"Total unselfishness is sure to accomplish another factor in successful marriage. If one is forever seeking the interests, comforts, and happiness of the other, the love found in courtship and cemented in marriage will grow into mighty proportions. Many couples permit their marriages to become stale and their love to grow cold like old bread or worn-out jokes or cold gravy. Certainly the foods most vital for love are consideration, kindness, thoughtfulness, concern, expressions of affection, embraces of appreciation, admiration, pride, companionship, confidence, faith, partnership, equality, and interdependence."
-- President Spencer W. Kimball, "Oneness in Marriage," Ensign, Mar. 1977, 5

3 comments:

kirstensblog said...

That is so sweet. I guess I will stop being on the computer and go in and watch tv with the old ball and chain. Ha ha! I am totally kidding. About the ball and chain thing. Anyway, that was a sweet story. love ya

Unknown said...

beautiful!

Susan said...

Kelly said...You are going to be one of those I follow just because I need a good laugh!

Camy said...Your blog is absolutely hysterical and uplifting!!! Love it Susan.

Susan said...I started a blog as a journal typre thing. It has taken on its own life and become...I don't even know what anymore. But it is fun.

SueAnn- I follow yours regularly. Its so cute.

Aicia said...I think when Katie's all grown (or sooner if time allows) you should write a biogaphy. You could call it "Life and Kids of Susan Nielsen".

Melanie said...You could probably even do an autobiography! :)

Susan said...Ha Ha. By the time I get there I will be so out of my mind it will be a biography. "How they did me in".

Kassidy said...you are such a blogger.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been about six months since I have seen your face. I decided today that I needed you again, back in my life. School is all but a mi...